Attract the Indigo Bunting to Your Back Yard

Attract the Indigo Bunting to Your Back Yard

Experts swear that the Indigo Bunting is rather common around these parts, especially in the spring and summer, but our readers (and our experience) tell us otherwise. After all, it’s not like the Indigo Bunting is easy to miss – the male’s bright plumage, combining unusual shades of iridescent blue, violet and turquoise is one of the most beautiful sights for bird lovers everywhere. Our readers tell us they watch their bird feeders day after day, waiting for a glimpse of these tiny finch-like birds. So far sightings have been few and far between.

So what can you do to make your back yard more attractive to the Indigo Bunting? Here are some ideas:

Plant flowers, bushes and hedges. The Indigo Bunting loves flower seeds as well as edges, brushes and brushy areas. The males will often sing while perched up on treetops, bushes and telephone lines all summer long. The more your back yard looks like their natural habitat, the more likely they are to come and visit.

Have other birds feeding in your garden. The Indigo Bunting will follow other similar species, such as goldfinches and Blue Grosbeaks, in search of food. Having multiple bird feeders in your back yard (especially thistle or nyjer seed feeders) will make it more attractive to the Indigo Bunting.

Use a mixed seed feeder or a tray feeder designed especially for small birds. We cannot emphasize the importance of using the right birdfeeder. Smaller birds, such as jays, cardinals, grosbeaks and the Indigo Buntings prefer feeders with small perches and easy access to seed. Our readers love our medium mixed seed feeder and our small tray feeder, both of which come in Hanging or Mount styles.

After all, we know you love birds as much as we do, and if we can help you attract even one Indigo Bunting to your back yard this summer, we’ll both be very happy! Feel free to drop us a note if you were lucky enough to see one at your feeder this season – we’d love to hear from you.

Trackbacks and pingbacks

No trackback or pingback available for this article.

18 comments

1. A friend has an Indigo Bunting near Mt Gilead Ohio-simply gorgeous!

2. I once had a migratory indigo bunting what a magical shock to look up from my coffee and see this intensely blue bird eyeing me from my feeder on the rail!!!

3. So fortunate to have this loveliness in Central Florida in our back yard.

4. I have one in my backyard that has visited twice. So beautiful. Ball, Louisiana

5. This Spring is my first time ever seeing them in person.
    I had one this morning ,but the last week or so I had many .
    Up to 21 I counted at 1 time in my back yard .
    I was overjoyed to say the least.
    I'm wondering now where they all went. .

Mary ,Covington, La

6. This spring I had approximately eight indigo buntings in the backyard two days in a row, feeding on millet. I have seen two pair daily all spring; however, Monday I had to move the feeders to cut a couple of dead trees. When the guys replaced the feeder poles in the ground, they put them closer together. I have not seen an indigo since. What distance should b between the two feeders?

MA 5/4/18

1. If possible I'd put the poles back to the distance you had them before. They seem to like being in shrubby areas near trees, so by removing the trees you've upsetting their area. It may take them a little while to come back.

1. Hello, I have seen every March and April here in Tepoztlán ,Morelos ( México ) they come every year , at the biginning (4 years ago) the were only two, now there are like 15. they came to the small fountain and I feed them.

7. Seen one today, first one at the feeder in 25 yrs. beautiful

1. We just had our first for the season yesterday. They are truly beautiful!

8. Last year I had 1 and yesterday I had 5 at once and today I’ve had 8 eating off my feeder all day. We have tall trees and brush behind our lot so they come and go all day. Such beautiful birds!!! Feeling very lucky.

9. We saw an indigo bunting on May 11 in Centerville, Ohio. So beautiful!

10. Saw an Indigo Bunting at our feeder several times this week. Have never seen one here during the fifty years I've lived in this house in central Wisconsin.

11. I've been lucky enough to have two Indigo Bunting where we summer over at in NE PA. They are beautiful. Along with those we once again are enjoying the Baltimore Orieole. Trying to get the Baltimore Oriole into feeder but no luck so far. I do have nyger out for them, the yellow finch are living it!!!

12. Saw one this afternoon on the feeder. First ever sighting.
    Robesonia, PA

13. We are seeing a female at the feeder everyday but no male. We caught one short sighting of the male on the ground. Wonder why he doesn’t come to the feeder.

14. I work at a golf course and sadly saw my first indigo bunting and he was dead and face down. It absolutely broke my heart. Birds fly into our huge windowed doors that line the clubhouse at the golf course and that's what happened to this beautiful baby.

15. Been seeing one indigo bluntings for the last 2years. This year they have nested an we are loving it. We also see other birds that only show blue under their wings in flight any idea what they are. ALABAMA